The colours of the tiles you use on your bathroom walls and floors practically make or break the outlook of the entire room. This is why it’s very important to pick the perfect tile colour or colours for your bathroom. Fortunately, there is a lot to choose from. From simple glass tiles to natural stone ones, there is for sure a coloured tile, which will fit your personal preferences and taste. And the many shapes available nowadays on the market can make that choice even more interesting. When you decide on a tile colour, there are many different factors you need to take into consideration before you put them on your walls, floors and in the shower. Here are a few handy design and decoration tips, which will help you get started.
Choosing tile style type and location.
First you need to choose a location, and then start narrowing down the styles and types of tiles for the particular area. For example, porcelain, stone or ceramic tiles are perfect for the floors or the counters. The glass tiles are perfect for walls, showers and backsplashes, because the water runs smoothly through them and they dry more easily. Here are a few interesting tile options to consider for the bathroom:
– Glass. Glass tiles are a very popular choice for bathrooms, simply because they come in a wide variety of colours, shapes and finishes. You should have in mind that glass tiles are one of the most expensive types on the market compared to the other options, but they are all worth it. They provide a shiny surface, which brings a very polished and finished look to practically every space.
– Ceramic. The ceramic tiles are less expensive than the glass ones, and they are perfect for practically every type of bathrooms, including those more damp environments. They are very easy to install and clean. The ceramic tiles have a very special surface, can be easily scrubbed, cleaned and even repainted, if you ever decide to redecorate the entire place at some point.
– Stone tiles. If you’re a fan of the natural outlook, you should consider stone tiles for your bathroom. They will provide a natural feel and many nice organic patterns. The rock and pebble tiles will offer a very unique and textured touch to your bathroom, which can’t be provided by any other type of tiles. The natural tile cleaning techniques are the preferred way to clean those tiles. Most commercial cleaners can have a negative impact on the quality of the stone.
– Porcelain. Porcelain tiles are quite expensive, but they are also a common choice for bathroom tiles, because they are very dense and durable. They are also not absorbent, which makes them perfect for all kinds of bathrooms.
Picking a colour palette.
After picking the right tile type for your bathroom, you should research the available colour options provided on the market. When you choose the tile colours for your bathroom, there are 3 important things to consider – the size of the space, the theme of the room and the style of the fixtures. If you’re just doing a remodeling of the bathroom and you already have fixtures installed – like a sink, vanity or lighting – then you should choose tiles which will compliment and fit with the rest of the room.
– For small bathrooms, you should consider installing tiles in light or neutral colours, like soft pastels for instance. The subtle shades will make even the smallest space look a lot bigger. These types of colours are most often used for guest bathrooms or powder rooms, which are usually smaller than regular bathrooms.
– For larger bathrooms you can allow yourself to use darker shades or bright and screaming colours, if you prefer. Navy and deep brown are some of the most common choices in such situations. The brighter colours are preferable for bathrooms which get a lot of sunlight or are seriously oversized and you need something bright to fill the space with. If you want to choose a colour palette, you can use a colour wheel as a point of reference.
February 17, 2017