Our Earth comprises of various kinds of rocks that are made up of different types of minerals and other elements. Among the different types of rock found on this planet, sandstone is one of the most important. Like the name suggests, this rock is made up of grains of sand, which in turn are tiny grains of minerals. As a matter of fact, sandstone rocks are formed when the sand-sized grains of minerals start to deposit upon each other.
There are numerous factors that are involved in determining the composition of a sandstone rock. The origin of the sandstone and the time taken in the transportation of grain plays a major role as well. Apart from them, the external factor that is weather also affects the basic composition and properties of this rock. During the process of formation, natural cement performs the role of binding the grains of minerals together, which in turn leads to the formation of a rock. There are numerous areas in which sandstone rocks are used. Mentioned below is some of the information about them.
Major Properties and Applications of Sandstone Rock
Feldspar and quartz are the two minerals found in abundant in these rocks. In fact, quartz can account for the 90 percent of the entire mass of sandstone. It is important to mention that with the passage of time, the content of quartz in a sandstone increases significantly. Such sandstone rocks are placed under the mature category. Before we focus on the applications, let us focus on the basic properties first.
- Sandstone rocks are very porous in nature; hence water can flow through the tiny pores easily.
- Most of the sandstone rocks are purple, red, white, yellow, gray, pink, and brown in color. However, brown coloured sandstone rocks are easily available. They are also called as brownstone rocks.
- The texture of these rocks varies according to the maturity and location as well.
- The heat resistant property of these rocks is also quite an impressive one.
- Apart from withstanding a high amount of heat, these rocks can bear a lot of pressure as well.
Considering the amazing properties mentioned above, it can be very well said that there are numerous applications of these rocks. From the world of construction to the field of water purification, there are various applications that can be mentioned. Some of them are-
Cement Manufacturing – A Powdered form of sandstone rocks when added to the various ingredients of cement then the quality of the cement improves significantly. The presence of quartz and other minerals add a lot of strength to the composition of cement.
- Interior Decoration – These days, a lot of people opt for the counter-tops made from sandstone rocks. Even though the texture of this rock is a bit rough, but the beauty associated with it will definitely impress anyone. Apart from counter-tops, there are much more ways of adding sandstone rocks to the decor of your home.
- Glass Manufacturing – In the production of ceramics as well as glass, the contribution of sandstone rock is proving to be an excellent one. The presence of high quality of quartz really helps in producing good quality glasses and ceramics.
- Mortar Manufacturing – Apart from cement manufacturing, sandstone rocks are used in the production of mortar as well.
- Oil Refinery- Since these rocks feature extremely tiny pores, therefore they prove to be highly effective in refining petroleum as well as natural gas.
Apart from them, there are many more applications of sandstone rocks, such as in aquariums, road construction, sculpture, monuments, etc. With the passage of time, more and more applications will surely get added to the list.
March 8, 2017