There is an air of charm when one talks about wooden furniture. One of the most elegant ways to transform the look of your dining room or kitchen is by installing a wooden dining table. However, it is not easy to clean and maintain the timber dining tables. You need to be careful about the spills and cuts. The polishing has to be taken care of on a regular basis. There are people who would call the professionals for cleaning or maintenance and shell out a huge sum. On the other hand, there are some who would do it on their own.
Here are some handy tips to help you in maintaining the look of your timber dining tables:
- Precaution: The first step to maintaining any wooden furniture is to take preventive measures. Make sure there is nothing pointed or sharp around it. While it is easier to control your family members but hosting a party can be tough. You should cover the table with right fabric to protect it from accidental spills, scratches or food being dropped. There is no need to guard the table like a soldier. However, you can certainly try to cover it up to avoid possible damages that it is usually vulnerable too.
- Quick Actions: If you see anything being dropped on the timber dining tables, the first thing is to clean it promptly. Allowing it to sit for minutes or hours can leave a bad patch on the table. It is also important what kind of material is used to clean the table. Do not use rough patches of cloth or the regular wipes to clean them. You will need something clean and soft that will absorb the grime and leave the table dry. Hence, you will have to be equipped with such thing always.
- Natural Material for Cleaning: Never think of using the chemical based solutions to clean your timber dining tables. They might damage the original and natural look. Go for the beeswax polish which is easily available in the market. You might need a good rag or a shoe brush to polish the table. Just like you polish the shoe or towel, you can apply the same technique for the table. The more intricate work on the table means you will have to invest in better tools for cleaning and polishing.
- Maintaining in Different Climates: You need to be careful with your timber dining tables that are placed outdoors or near the sunlight. The sun can take away the color and make the table dull. It can even change the look of the surface of your table. A sealer can be used to clean and maintain the old look of your table. However, it is best to keep the table away from the sun. When it comes to humidity, the wood might tweak a bit and show signs of warping or cracking. Be watchful for such signs and get them sorted on time.
- Professional Help: There might be times when you can possibly do nothing for your timber dining tables. Anything that is broken or severely damaged has to be fixed immediately. Only a professional will help you to retain the old look. Many people assume that they can fix the furniture with few nails and a hammer. However, it can take a toll on the original look of the furniture. Hence, it is advised to call the experts whenever needed.
These five tips will help you to take care of your wooden tables in the best possible way.March 30, 2017