The garage floor is an area that bears the brunt of wear and tear under regular pressure from heavy wheels of vehicles, which keep moving in and out. So it is advisable to use a very sturdy type of material as coating on the garage floor, to prevent frequent damages of the floor surface. Moreover, this coating should be cheap rather than attractive looking. This is why epoxy garage floor is the most sought after coating used in most of the garages, residential and commercial buildings, etc., Epoxy garage floors also requires very less maintenance in the future.
Even laymen can undertake this job after taking appropriate safety precautions and having the required equipments. Professional service providers are also available who maybe hired to undertake this job.
Steps to be followed for ensuring the best epoxy garage floors
- If the house owner is doing the epoxy floor coating, he should use necessary protective tools, for ensuring safety; like thick gloves, protective glasses and respirator. Epoxy is a very volatile material, therefore the area in and around where the expoxy work is being undertaken should strictly be a no-smoking area. Also, no electrical or heating appliance should be operated in the garage at that time as it can trigger an accident.
- Though epoxy is a non-toxic material, it is better to keep it out of the reach of the children and pet animals. Therefore children and pets should not be allowed around the garage while the coating work is being undertaken.
- The epoxy coating material should be kept in a cool place at least for 24 hours, before the coating is applied on the floor to increase the longevity of the floor coating. It is a good idea to use two rollers for polishing the epoxy coating, so that no stain is formed during its application.
- The floor should be absolutely moisture free to ensure the epoxy material fixes solidly over the concrete floor of the garage. The presence of moisture can be checked by placing a garbage bag over the coating for 24 hours and then finding out if the bag feels moist. Another epoxy coating may be required, if the given coating shows humid patches.
- The epoxy floor coating cannot be applied over sealed floors and thus the sealing should be removed before putting on this hard chemical on the garage floor.
- The floor surface of the garage should be thoroughly cleaned with high pressure cleaner and even water particles should be brushed off, to leave the surface perfectly dry for the application of epoxy coating. The floor can also be cleaned with hydrochloric acid diluted in a bucket of water and the floor should be scrubbed with this solution with a very stiff-bristled brush to remove stains. Afterwards, any trace of acid needs to be washed away by spraying water with a hose pipe.
- The joint lines of the walls with the garage floor should be covered by sticking tapes, to protect against epoxy coating on these meeting lines.
- If the house owner wants to do the coating for an epoxy garage floor, he should diligently follow the instructions printed on the packets of epoxy materials and apply the mixture of the materials immediately, before it solidifies. But the edges of the floors should be done carefully first and then the rest can be spread evenly with the rollers. The thickness of the epoxy is chosen depending on the weight of the vehicles stationed in that garage.
The house owner may do the epoxy coating of the floor if it is a small garage with space that can contain only one or two cars, but in case of larger garages, it is advisable to take professional help and ensure the better longevity of the garage floor.
April 20, 2017