Many homeowners nowadays choose hardwood floors to have a space that is clean and safe with low maintenance. Wood flooring tends to be more sanitary compared to other floor types. Carpeted floors can easily gather a good amount of dust and germs that get absorbed in the carpet fibers. But with wood flooring, debris cannot hide which makes it healthier and a safer living environment for you and your family. Hardwood floors have also better stain resistance compared to other floor types. Don’t you agree? And of course, nothing beats the look of a shiny hardwood floor.
Choosing the right vacuum cleaner for your hardwood floor seems to be an easy task. But if you got the wrong type of vacuum cleaner, then you might get discouraged and spend more money of buying another new vacuum. In this article, I will outline some of the most important aspect for you to know how to choose the best hardwood floor vacuum cleaner and one that will be worthy of your investment.
- The right type of vacuum – for homeowners with lots of bare floors such as hardwood, tile, laminate and also have stairs, a canister vacuum would be the best option. Canister vacuums can easily be carried up the stairs and safer to use on hardwood floors as it relies mainly on its powerful suction without having to use a roller brush that could scratch wood floorings. You can also consider a stick or handheld vacuum cleaner for lighter tasks which need quick attention.
- No rolling brush – the rolling brush or beater bar of a vacuum is used to go deep into the carpets to lift up dirt and dust embedded inside the carpet. But with hardwood floors, it could do more harm than good as it can scatter debris that might scratch the floors.
- Powerful suction – since we avoid using rotating brush when cleaning hardwood floors, then we should choose a vacuum that has powerful suction to effectively suck all dust and dirt on the floors.
- Rubberized wheels – to prevent scratching the precious wood floorings when maneuvering the vacuum around.
- Edge cleaning attachment – for easy cleaning in corners and along baseboards.
- Telescopic hose – for an easy transition from vacuuming the floors to stairs.
- Long cord – for a wider cleaning radius.
- Size and weight – choose one that you are comfortable carrying and maneuvering the vacuum around your house.
- HEPA filter – for better air filtration, helps people with dust allergies.
- Variable suction – able to adjust the suction power from cleaning the floor to delicate things such as curtains.
- On-board storage for the accessories – for an instant access for the right attachment you need, no matter what you’re cleaning.
June 7, 2017