Irrespective of if you’ve hired a professional or plan to install roofing yourself, it is detrimental that you understand the roof installation process to ensure that it is installed correctly. There are various materials that are used in roofing and you can easily find yourself confused looking at all the options you have to choose from. You have to familiarize yourself with the options so that you can better evaluate which materials are good for your roof according to where you live and what the weather is like.
In America Asphalt shingles are used most commonly as they provide water proofing, because it has a relatively low up front cost and is fairly simple to install. While a Metal roof can cost twice as much in the first year, it can ultimately cost 3 times as much as asphalt shingle roofs during the course of 60 years according to the Metal Roofing Alliance.
Materials for Roof Installations to Choose From:-
Shingle is the term used for roofs that are made up of many overlapping sections.
- Wood Shingles: Red cedars have a life expectancy of over 30 years and wood shingles are sawn from bolts of red cedars.
- Asphalt Shingles: These are cheaper than slate and tiles and are made of bitumen embedded in organic or fiberglass mat, usually covered with man-made ceramic grit.
Thatch is a material of roofing made of plant stalks in overlapping layers. Several of the thatch roofing materials are listed below;
- Wheat Straw
- Sea grass
- Water Reed
Metal roofing is one of the most popular forms of roofing in the world. It ensures durability and secures the structural integrity of any building. Reliable contractors who do roof installation Southgate Michigan offers a wide variety of reliable metal roofing with a guarantee of over 30 years. Metal roofing is highly effective for buildings in cities that have harsh weather conditions. Several kinds of metal roofing materials are listed below;
- Galvanized Steel
- Copper Roofs
- Standing seam metals with concealed fasteners
- Mechanically seamed metals with concealed fasteners
- Steel coated with a colored alloy of zinc and aluminum
- Stone coated metal roofing
These could be in the form of concrete tiles and are usually reinforced with some kind of fibres. There are three main types, precast/prestressed, cast in place and shell. The following are the common types of precast/prestressed concrete roofing;
- Double Tees are the most common products for short spans up to 60 feet.
- Hollow Core Slabs are used when there is a requirement of using flushed ceilings.
- T- Beams are similar to double tees but can be used for span ranging from 30 feet to 100 feet.
- Joists and Planks are combination of using prestressed joists with prestressed planks.
There are various other materials for roofing installations, but these are the most commonly used ones and familiarizing yourself with them will ensure a smoother roof installation experience.
June 5, 2018