Contrary to what some people may believe home builders are not simply contractors or carpenters who perform their role in a house and leave. A home builder is comparable to a CEO or managing director in terms of carrying out a wide variety of duties while overseeing the whole project from start to finish. Some of the daily tasks that they are required to complete include the following:
- Understanding the complexities of building homes.
- Paying keen attention to all the details of the project.
- Coordinating contractors to ensure that a high quality structure is created.
- Ability to think ahead, plan and multitask.
One of the key components of any home builder’s work is to manage different contractors who have been hired to work on a specific project. They usually have to coordinate with various carpenters, landscapers, painters, electricians, plumbers, engineers and architects.
They also require an in-depth understanding of how each of these professional areas functions in order for them to be able to determine whether or not a contractor has done a good job. It is essential for a builder to be the connection between relevant government authorities and the local community. This involves research and going through the building codes to find out what they can build.
Builders oversee the whole construction process, which includes:
- Laying the foundation.
- Erecting frames, roofs and siding.
- Nailing floors down.
- Wall construction.
- Exterior trimming installations.
- Installing electrical, heating and plumbing components. Find the best builders in Gold Coast
Builders are responsible for overseeing, coordinating and working on the repair or construction of homes as well as other buildings. Along with handling some tasks personally, builders may also manage the project. This often consists of arranging for subcontractors who will complete certain jobs and ensuring that the project fulfills government and industry regulations and their client’s needs.
- Builders typically work outdoors within industrial conditions and serve as members of construction teams. They may need to operate a range of machinery.
- Considering the hazardous conditions that are associated with construction work, builders are required to comply with stringent safety regulations that include using protective equipment and making sure that the site is always safe for personnel.
- Licenses and registration for builders is typically regulated by the governing authorities of the state.
- Related careers include construction managers and building surveyors.
A builder deals with a variety of administrative, managerial and manual responsibilities that may include:
- Interpreting and organizing plans and ensuring they meet the client specifications and building code rules.
- Submitting tenders of providing quotes for building projects.
- Arranging building work inspections.
- Organizing contractors such as painters, plumbers, electricians and carpenters to perform building tasks.
- Handling some of the work personally.
- Calculating costs and quantities and sourcing of labor and building materials.
- Supervising employees or contractors to make sure that safety standards are adhered to and work schedules are maintained.
- Coordinating various administrative tasks like payment.
If you plan to renovate your existing home or build a new home, one of the most crucial considerations is to ensure that the builder is experienced and licensed.
July 25, 2018