It is the roof which plays an integral part to protect a home and all that is inside it. Even a small leak in the roof can compromise on the roof’s integrity and result in considerable damage when it comes to the structure of the home. Roof leaks present homeowners with multiple challenges. It does not happen at a convenient time and can damage the home’s interior severely. These effects can even linger long post repair in the likes of growth of mold and mildew on the home’s interior surfaces. At times to discover the source of the leak is likely to be a more significant challenge thereby leaving the homeowner frustrated. Locating the leakage source is never an exact science as it may have a couple of contributing factors and not just a single specific issue related to the roof.
Common Reasons for Leakage
Leaks in a roof can result from different factors which include but is not limited to the following,
- Severe weather like high winds and hail storms
- Improper installation of flashing on the chimney or lack of installation
- Missing shingles
- Other protrusions such as plumbing vents
Investigating and Locating Roof Leaks
It is best if one is capable of visualising the leak as it begins. Tracing the source of the leak is a far better choice than resting on the remnants like stains on the ceiling. Although stains can indicate roof leaks yet may fail to reveal the whole story behind the leak. It is good to trace the roof leak during snow or rain and if this thing is not possible then conducting a water test especially on the surface of the roof can help. Below are some ways of locating a roof leak,
- One can begin by examining the interior of the home. They should confirm that the leakage is due to a roof problem and not something else.
- Next, measure the area of the leak from 2 fixed points- fireplace chimney, exterior walls or anything which extends from the finished ceiling up to the roof surface or attic space.
- Visit the attic to trace the leakage source on the roof deck’s underside. Check the surface from where the water is dripping.
- Also check the vents, chimneys or vent pipes in the bathroom.
- Gain access to the roof safely and use the measurements gathered from the home’s attic space up to the surface of the roof.
- Check the exact location from where the water enters the attic space.
Roof Restoration Tips
In spite of all preventive efforts, leakage in a home roof can occur. During such circumstances, you need to take the right steps for fixing the leak. Click here for Melbourne roofing restoration. Besides one can also follow these tips,
- Protect the area underneath the leak to prevent further water damage.
- Shift furniture and electronics from the leakage area. Installing temporary plastic sheets along the walls can help.
- Put signs of hazard surrounding the water to avoid accidental falls and slips.
- Run a hose on the roof to discover the exact source of the leak.
- Replace asphalt shingles which indicate damage. You need to immediately replace the shingles that remove easily, are crumbled or loose.
- Clear off the worn shingle.
These roofing restoration tips will help a homeowner to check their roof for leaks and get it sorted. Try it to believe it.
August 8, 2018