If you look back on modernist furniture icons, then you’ll definitely come across the Barcelona coffee table and Barcelona ends table ideology. Both pieces are a paragon of sleek, clean, and transparent visuals, and here’s all that you need to know about them:
About the designer
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was an architect and a modernist pioneer who coined the phrase ‘less is more’ in context to the modern movement. He’s a legend amongst legends with humble beginnings at his father’s stonemasonry’s business. This got him to a better understanding of construction materials and structural designing. He later apprenticed with Bruno Paul – a furniture designer based in Berlin – who was also a modern activist.
All this experience led to Mies setting up his own office in Berlin, where his amazing works on furniture and residential projects led him to be one of the leaders in German modern movement. His immigration to the United States in 1938 was the introduction of his aesthetics in the American landscape. While the Seagram Building and the IIT campus are two of his most famous architectural works, his Barcelona collection – the chair, the coffee table, and the end table – remain his most iconic furniture designs. Further, we’ll be taking a closer look at the latter two.
About the products
One cannot talk about the Barcelona coffee and end tables without briefly mentioning the clean, minimalist, and comfortable design of the Barcelona chair. It was to accompany this chair that Mies van der Rohe first designed these chrome and glass tables that epitomize the elegance and sophistication of modern design. Both these furniture pieces feature a glass and chrome designing that is as simple as it is perfect. The cross-shaped frame that supports the glass top seamlessly elongates into thin legs on four corners, making it feel like the glass is almost floating.
About the materials
Both the Barcelona coffee table and end table are an artful blend of glass and chrome. The top is comprised of a ¾” thick clear glass with 1/8” beveled edge and the base is a single-construction frame of polished chrome that has been hand-ground and hand-buffed to a mirror-like sheen. You can even opt for a stainless steel frame with a premium grade 202 bar stock.
Things to ponder before purchasing
Here are a few things that you must remember before you lock it down and make the purchases:
- Sizeably perfect: As with every piece of furniture, you have to check out the size compatibility of this coffee and end table duo with respect to your space before making the purchase.
- Material contrast: The glass and chrome material scheme of the Barcelona coffee and end tables is very versatile, but it has to complement the rest of the color/material scheme of your homes to deliver the best look.
- Aesthetic feasibility: The modernist look of this coffee and end table needs to suit your interior design theme to look great, so do a thematic contrast before making the purchase.
What styles to complement?
Since the Barcelone coffee and end tables have such an ingrained modernist design, you have to be very careful about pairing it up with various interior design styles. Here are a few ideas that you can consider:
- Minimalist: The unadorned simplicity of the minimalist style is perfect for pairing this coffee and end table pair with. Their clean and transparent visuals will match the austerity of this style really well – especially next to a gorgeous sofa.
- Contemporary: There is always an inherent sleekness even within the eclectic nature of the contemporary style, and you can complement it by furnishing with the Barcelona coffee table and end table.
- Radical Modernist: The pure modernist aesthetic is very rarely ever found these days anymore, but if your home carries that theme, then you can make it even more iconic by furnishing it with the iconic Barcelona coffee table and end table duo.
- Neo-classical: The neo-classical style is a study in reinvented traditional design elements merged with modern accessories. The Barcelona coffee table and end table could be a gorgeous modern accompaniment that helps contemporize the classical elements within the ambiance.
So, this is everything that you need to know about the Barcelona coffee table and end table set. We hope now you have a better understanding of its material, construction, and admirable history.
March 1, 2019