It takes a lot of money to buy a residential property. It is your lifetime decision; hence you cannot be casual with your purchase. You have to make sure that the building is in good health, maintenance is done fine, and there is no pest issue. For this, you have to do its inspection right before the purchase. It does not happen without spending time and money. But don’t hurry here because it can prove to be an expensive decision of your life later. With a professional building inspector by your side, this task can be easy. However, before hiring him, check yourself the property you want to buy. Here are a few tips on building inspection that can be useful for you.
How to check property personally?
When you go to watch a property for the first time, you get around half an hour to stroll through it and examine every nook and corner. The job becomes a bit easy if you have someone accompanying you. While checking the property, make a note of the following things:
- Check walls and ceilings for dampness
- Open windows and doors to see if their hinges are in proper condition
- Examine all the taps for leakage or damage
- Have a good look at the plumbing
- Go around and check the facade, rooftop, and drainage system
If you don’t see any problem with these things and decide to proceed further, get a trusted building inspection officer onboard before finalizing the deal. He will go deeper into the inspection with his years of experience, skills, and expertise. And above all, he will also be able to tell you whether the building meets Australian building rules and conditions. Furthermore, with the help of a qualified surveyor, you can also check the building’s actual condition beyond cosmetic repairs.
How a certified architect or surveyor will inspect the property?
Nothing can hide from the intense eyes of the licensed building inspector, no matter how deep the problem is. Here is how he goes about his work.
- He looks around the interiors carefully to catch the signs of cracking walls, electrical issues, and damaged doors and windows among other things.
- He observes the exteriors with full attention to see if there is any structural damage that can prove dangerous for its owner later.
- He makes a note of the condition of the rooftop, drainage system, etc.
- He wanders around the whole property to analyse the condition of the garage, gardens, fencing, toilets, laundry, and so on.
Hence, if you want to save yourself from all the tension and stress, hire a professional building inspection company for the job even if that means spending a little extra amount. Nowadays, many homeowners try to do pest inspection along with the building inspection to make sure their property is safe from all types of dangers. You can also do the same, especially if the area has termite and other pest issues. This one step can save you from spending exorbitant repairing costs.
April 27, 2019