The basement is usually just a small room, or it could be more, but it’s generally below the ground floor. This room is generally kept for utility space. Basement waterproofing is usually done to prevent water from penetrating to the basement. The basement is used as a utility room in which the boiler, the air conditioner, the water heater, etc. are located but in London recently trends are changing, and the basement is used as a bedroom too so when the basement is water clogged it gets challenging.
A damp basement poses lots of threats like mildew, rot, and mold. Mold could cause bad air quality which could deteriorate your health so getting a waterproofing expert is essential for your basement and your health.
Signs that you need waterproofing
When your basement is always damp, you should get it checked there are various factors.
These are some factors which prove you need waterproofing
- Wet or damp basement floors: This can cause a lot of problems. If the basement floor is leaking from the ground, this could mean that the hydrostatic pressure is pushing up water from the ground. A basement waterproofing expert should be called immediately to find a solution to this damp basement floor.
- Standing water: Standing water is a pool of water that does not flow. It can be caused by rainfall, storm or hurricanes. This natural disaster could water clogged your basement, and an expert should be consulted to clear the water and make the floor dry again.
- Leaking basement walls: Leaking wall is another reason for you to get waterproofing. If there is a small crack on the wall and if the matter is not addressed then it could lead to bigger problems so therefore an expert should be consulted as to address the leaking wall.
- Musty odor: Another reason for waterproofing is the musty odor that is caused by water clogged in the basement. This odor stays a long time if the basement is not kept dry.
- Condensation: Condensation is the transformation from a gaseous state to a liquid one. Therefore, when the gas condenses, and there is no proper outlet, it changes in liquid and wet the basement causing a lot of problem and expert should be consulted.
- Leaky basement windows: Another reason for waterproofing is leaky basement windows. When there is a leakage from the basement window, it could lead to many waterlogged problems, and an expert should ring in to address all these problems.
- Sump pump issues: A sump pump is a device used to pump water clogged areas. It is usually implanted in the basement to remove dampness in the basement, but there are times when there are some problems with the sump pumps, and they are not functioning well so then the basement is wet and need to rope in an expert.
These are just a few of the factors why you need waterproofing. The basement is a susceptible place to fall under pressure; there are numerous factors which could lead to it clogging or damp walls. Leaking and musty odor make it worst. In most US houses the basement is used as a place to store things it is not livable, but in the UK most people live in the basement, and it makes it so difficult if it’s damped, all kind of illness could occur on the owners. But in both cases, the basement should be waterproofed to prevent any moisture from ruining the house or building.
Basement waterproofing is very important and essential for healthy living. A damp wall or floor makes it easily susceptible to fungus and water-borne diseases. And to get the basement waterproof, a waterproof expert will help you achieve a clean, dry basement.
Why waterproofing is important?
Waterproofing is important because the inner of your home is exposed to many elements like sun, rain, rays, wind and many other elements and it’s necessary to waterproof the basement since it’s the place that is neglected and could pose serious health problems. The exposure of moisture to ceilings, walls could lead to mildew and mold which poses a serious health issue to anyone who breathes in the air. If the house or building is left unattended for years the health risks too is higher. Anyone should address the dampness with urgency because it’s better to take precautions and not suffer later on.
Waterproofing your house will also cost you a lot, but that’s nothing compared at what it might cost if you neglect it. In the long run, waterproofing is a good idea because once you have waterproofed your basement, it stays intact for a lifetime. To waterproof the exterior walls of a building or house that would be very helpful in achieving a structurally sound foundation and also save a lot of money.
Waterproofing a house or a building helps in the prevention of cracks in the foundation. Once the house is exposed to too much moisture, this could lead to cracks in the foundation and this, in turn, leads to expensive reconstruction so addressing the problem beforehand is very important. Waterproofing is important because it increases the value of the property too if the owners of the house or buildings decided to sell the house in the market then they could get a higher value for it because the buyers won’t have to waterproof the house again.
Basement waterproofing is necessary because it prevents flooding in the basement. If you’ve not waterproofed your basement, it is likely you’ll suffer from flooding which may be caused by heavy rainfall, storm, hurricanes and other external factors. However, if you’ve waterproofed your house it’s unlikely that the basement will flood.
Therefore, waterproofing is a great investment and its long term, not short term and once you’ve consulted an expert and waterproof our home you’re heading towards a drier, healthier and mold free basement. There are several professional services out there that can aid you with this.
May 2, 2019