A microwave is a useful invention. It cooks quickly, easy to clean. In addition, some options allow you to show imagination and create different, even complex dishes, and not just heat up the soup and pasta.
The article will discuss how to choose the right microwave oven based on goals, as well as other factors that affect usability. From it, you can find out what kind of ovens are generally prepared by microwaves, what are the control features and why it is important to pay attention to the coating of the surface, as well as what technical parameters should be taken into account in the first place. Valuable tips and examples will help you make your choice.
What Are Microwaves
Depending on the set of functions and the method by which the microwave prepares, there are three types of such furnaces:
- standard microwave solo;
- with grill;
- grill + convection.
The classic version (solo) is cooked only by microwaves. It is suitable for basic tasks, such as heating, defrosting, etc. With it, it is cool to cook sandwiches, and you can fry sausage without butter, make pizza on a ready-made cake. This option is cheaper than the rest since it is a narrowly targeted technique. Its cost depends on the volume and power.
Grill ovens are a more functional option. Here, in addition to microwaves, there is also a heating element. In this microwave, you can cook with a crispy crust.
There are only three types of control panels:
Perhaps the easiest option. Such devices are usually equipped with round handles, one of which serves to set the timer, and the other is responsible for power parameters. Long service life and low price in comparison with others are the main advantages of this technique. The disadvantage is that the time is set only in minutes, and there is no possibility of per-second programming. Another disadvantage is that washing the levers is inconvenient.
2. Electronic buttons
A more convenient option. The displays of such microwave ovens display not only time and power, but also the available cooking programs. They can be selected using the buttons. The pluses of the models also include their appearance and ease of care.
3. The control of the touch type
The choice of modes is also available. A plus is the ability to easily clean the control panel, and unlike the models with buttons, as for the comfort of control, there are no problems.
An equally important role in the technique is played by the type of internal coating, regardless of which microwave the choice falls on the grill, solo, or convection. To decide which furnace coating is best, it is worth understanding the features of each option.
The taste of cooked foods in the microwave depends on its interior decoration. Finishing is of the following types:
- enamel coating: a popular type of finish. It is easy to keep clean;
- Ceramic coating: durable, hard to scratch. Drops of fat flowing down the walls are easily removed with a regular kitchen sponge;
- stainless steel: looks elegant, durable. Resistant to temperature changes. That is why this finish is used in the manufacture of ovens with grill and convection. Harder to keep clean.
- defrost function. You can quickly defrost the necessary foods. Some models have the function of automatic defrosting: the furnace selects the power level, determines the heating time;
- automatic cooking. Select the type of product, and its weight, the microwave oven itself will set the mode, power, time;
- automatic heating. This function is no different from the previous one. Indicate that you want to warm up the dish, determine the type of product and its weight. This model includes: “Soup”, “Ready dish”, “Drinks”;
- child protection. Disables or locks all keys, excluding access to small children. Starts the cooking mode at any convenient time;
- quick-cooking. Provides food preparation in a short time. You can warm up the dish even in 30 seconds with strong power;
- steam cleaning. This function itself easily removes fat and food debris from the inside with steam;
- odor removal. Removes food odors after cooking;
- steam sensor. Products are steamed at a temperature of 100 degrees. It is enough to indicate the type of products during programming and press the “start” button. The time remaining until the end of cooking is determined on display;
- keeping the food warm requires automatic temperature maintenance. Excellent function if the dish needs to be kept hot for a certain time;
- sound signal. Alerts that cooking, defrosting, or heating is over.
The main additional functions of microwave ovens
In addition to the above functions, microwaves may have other abilities. Below are the most interesting ones.
- Possibility of cleaning with steam. Self-cleaning steam ovens are equipped with a tank where you need to fill the water, put the tank in the furnace and activate the corresponding mode. 15 minutes of waiting, and the owner can only wipe the inside with a napkin.
- Steam supply – maintains consistency, and also speeds up cooking and prevents the product from over-drying.
- The ability to remove food odors is also very useful. This is a program for airing the camera.
Double radiation – for uniform heating and increasing the efficiency of the equipment.
- Dialogue or voice control. Such options for interaction with technology are very convenient. If we talk about the dialogue option, a message appears on display, after which the owner selects the answer option on the panel for control. In another case, messages are duplicated invoice.
- Plate Crisp. In fact, it is an analog of a frying pan. The great thing for frying. It is made of special metal, and it is heated to two hundred degrees, and therefore cannot be used in all stoves.
- Built-in toaster. While the soup is warming, the owner can toast the bread.
- Auto temperature support. Food stays warm for a long time.
- Bread machine. Yes, some microwave ovens can bake bread and rolls at the same time.
- Automatic cooking. You just need to choose the name and weight of the product, and the rest is a matter of technology. Boil soup, porridge, baked potatoes, the oven can without the intervention of the owner.
- Child protection. Lock all controls for maximum security.
Choosing a microwave for home
When choosing a microwave, it is worth considering the internal volume. It all depends on the purpose of the acquisition. For heating dishes or defrosting food for a couple of people, an option of 13-19 liters is enough.
It would be nice to determine the place in advance so that the equipment will be placed. Dimensional equipment can take up half the kitchen table, and if you don’t turn around in the kitchen, you should not buy this option. If the model is built-in, measurements are all the more necessary to do.
Power is also important. It is she who affects how quickly the food is prepared and how much electricity the microwave will spend. How to choose the right one? First, you need to know how much the wiring can withstand. It is worth remembering that in combined furnaces, the power of all functions is added up. Accordingly, energy consumption indicators are high. On the website of the store or manufacturer, in the documentation for the equipment, such information is always indicated.
Now it is worth deciding on a set of functions. It all depends on the intended use. The budget solution of the “solo” category is the best option if there is a crock-pot, oven and stove. Why overpay for extra modes if the user is only going to heat or defrost in the microwave?
If we are talking about purchasing an oven for culinary experiments, then you can choose the more expensive option, which is quite capable of replacing the electric oven. In such an oven, you can realize any culinary idea. A variety of programs, convection and grill modes will help. For modern models, nothing is impossible. Baking bread and making delicious toasts, casseroles and pies are not a problem. With some microwave and a double boiler is not needed.
If a super-functional microwave oven saves time, then self-cleaning and airing will greatly facilitate the maintenance of the equipment and will allow you to eliminate traces of cooking, including odors, with almost no effort.
To choose the right microwave, the main thing is to consider the goals. The solo version is suitable if you only need to heat or defrost, options with grill and convection are needed for cooking. You can even create complex dishes with them. It also does not hurt to take into account how many people the owner of the stove is going to treat. Power should be selected based on the number of programs and the wiring exposure. The rest, including additional functions and equipment, is optional. It is worth considering whether they are really needed.January 13, 2020