It is often said that “home is not a place, it’s a feeling.” Indeed! After months of due diligence and years of waiting, the satisfaction of taking possession of a home is inexplicable in words. While you might have gone through with the necessary documents and done multiple site visits before buying a property, it is still important to cross check everything through the process of new home inspection. This may look like one big task but It is going to be very smooth with a checklist in your hand. For the sake of simplifying, classify the new home inspection checklist into two broad categories
Before taking the possession, ensure you have received the original documents and photocopies of all the documents like: –
- Encumbrance certificate ensures that the property under concern is free from any monetary and legal liabilities.
- Commencement certificate is issued to the builder by the designated authority fulfilling the specifications as per Intimation of Disapproval.
- No objection certificate acts as a written proof that the project has all the required approvals from the departments before starting the construction.
- Occupancy certificate is issued by the civic authority of the city signifying that construction of the project satisfies the approved plan and building laws.
- Completion certificate states that the project has been constructed as per the norms and regulations.
- Khata document would contain all details about a property like the name of owner, location, size of the building.
- Joint development agreement is required if more than one person is responsible for the development of project.
- Building plan approval states that the structure has been approved by the local authority.
- Allotment letter is issued by the builder if you have opted for a home loan.
- Letter of no dues from the builder is issued after all payments have been made.
Things to check on new home inspections.
- Take a detailed tour of all, check if everything is in place. It might happen that some of the amenities are delayed, or are not in a usable condition during the time of possession. It is better to enquire about their timelines.
- The fittings include the switchboards, door knobs, bathroom fittings. You must check whether the same or equivalent brand is provided as promised earlier.
- Check on the quality of the doors and the windows.
- Examine the quality of paint used on the walls, windows, grills, and railings and that everything has a double paint coating.
- If you happen to discover damages like holes or cracks after taking the keys, the builder may refuse to fix it.
- Check all drainage outlets like the ones in bathrooms, kitchen, utility area, etc.
- Check for leakages while opening or closing taps. Kitchen sink and all the washbasins should be properly installed.
- Check all switches and plug-points. If there’s an inverter, ensure the supply shifts to the inverter as soon as the main power supply is cut. The miniature circuit breaker should be of good quality.
- Measure the size of each room, doors, and windows.
- Ask for at least two sets of keys from the builder.
May 9, 2020