When it comes to home improvement, there are two main objectives: to make your home more comfortable and functional for you and your family and to increase the resale value of your home should you ever choose to sell. While many home improvement projects can accomplish both objectives, some are better than others at boosting resale value. Here are some of the best home improvement ideas to increase home value.
The kitchen is often referred to as the heart of the home, and for a good reason. It’s where we gather to cook, eat, and socialize with family and friends. Not surprisingly, a well-designed kitchen is high on most buyers’ wish lists. If you’re planning a kitchen remodel, be sure to focus on functionality and style. High-end appliances, plenty of storage, and a layout that flows well are all critical factors in a kitchen that will appeal to buyers.
Here are some ideas offered by Best Online Cabinets to refresh your kitchen space:
- Install new kitchen cabinets to give the room an updated look and feel
- Add new appliances like stainless steel appliances, which are always in style and can instantly update the look of your kitchen
- Install new countertops to give your kitchen a fresh and stylish look
- Paint old cabinets to make them look brand new
- Update the backsplash to add color and interest to your kitchen
- Replace the flooring to brighten up the space and give it a fresh look
Another important room in the house when it comes to resale value is the bathroom. A luxurious master bathroom can be a real selling point for potential buyers, so if you’re planning a bathroom update, don’t skimp on the details. Double vanities, a spa-like shower or tub, and plenty of storage will all help to make your bathroom more appealing to buyers.
When planning a bathroom remodel, keep these tips in mind:
- Ensure you have enough storage and get rid of clutter
- Choose neutral colors that will appeal to a wide range of buyers
- Update fixtures like faucets and towel racks to add a touch of luxury to your bathroom
- Add some greenery to breathe life into your bathroom and make it feel more inviting
Add a Deck or Patio
Outdoor living space is always in demand, so if your home doesn’t have a deck or patio, now may be the time to add one. A deck or patio provides valuable extra square footage (not to mention a great place to relax or entertain guests) that will be sure to appeal to potential buyers. Just be sure to choose materials that require minimal maintenance so you won’t have too much work to do down the road.
To make your deck or patio even more appealing, consider these ideas:
- Add built-in seating to make your outdoor space more functional and inviting
- Install a fire pit to extend the use of your deck or patio into the cooler months
- Hang string lights to create a warm and inviting ambiance in your outdoor space
- Add greenery like planters or hanging baskets filled with flowers or plants to add a pop of color and life to your deck or patio
Making your home more energy efficient is not only good for the environment—it’s also good for your wallet and resale value. Energy-efficient updates will help make your home more attractive to potential buyers while also helping you save money on utility bills each month.
Focus on these main updates:
- Install energy-efficient windows to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer, which will be appealing to potential buyers
- Add insulation to help keep your home at a comfortable temperature year-round
- Update your HVAC system to make your home more comfortable and energy-efficient
- Install LED lighting that is more energy-efficient
Fresh Paint Job
One of the quickest and easiest ways to freshen up your home (and increase its value) is with a fresh coat of paint—inside and out. When choosing colors, stick with neutral tones that appeal to the widest range of buyers possible. In addition to paint colors, pay attention to these other painting details:
- Choose the right finish
- Prepare the surface to ensure a smooth and even finish
- Use quality paint that will look great and last long
Landscape the Garden
First impressions count, so ensuring your garden looks neat and tidy is essential if you want to add value to your home. Simple things like mowing the lawn, trimming the hedges, and planting flowers can make all the difference when it comes time to sell. A well-maintained garden will also be more enjoyable to use in the meantime, so it’s a win-win.
To take your garden to the next level, consider these ideas:
- Add creative outdoor lighting to create a warm and inviting ambiance in your garden
- Install a water feature like a fountain or pond—just be sure to include a safety feature like a fence if you have young children or pets
- Create an outdoor entertainment area with a built-in BBQ or fire pit
Potential Buyers Will Appreciate Every Update
These are just a few of the many home improvement projects that can help increase the resale value of your home should you ever choose to sell. Of course, not all projects are right for every home or budget, so be sure to research before starting any major renovations. And remember, even small improvements can make a big difference when it comes time to sell and will be appreciated by potential buyers.